Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Are we there yet?















Something about a snowstorm and an isolated road. I felt like I was the only person in the world.















And a cool gateway to go through to get to the other people in the world. Felt like I was in some sort of fairytale that night.















Who doesn't love the cranes all over downtown? I don't know if its the idea of expansion, growth, or just a really powerful machine. Just love them.


Evening Snow at Asukayama
Utagawa Hiroshige. Evening Snow at Asukayama (Asukayama bosetsu), from the series "Eight Views in the Neighborhood of Edo (Edo kinko hakkei no uchi)". c. 1838.

There is so little detail in the image, and yet it is so powerful. A few delicate lines and a light grey background and I instantly get the feel of a snow covered hillside. Snow is so pretty when you are not stuck in it. Reminds us that less is sometimes more.

New Work
Ranjani Shettar, Sing Along, 2008-9

Wow. I would love to be able to walk around in this space. I love the idea of installation, but never can seem to come up with an idea that will work with my art. Always gives me something to think about.

Herb Ritts, "Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Point Dume," 1987. Photograph, gelatin silver print. Gift of Herb Ritts. (c) Herb Ritts Foundation. Barbara Morgan, " Valerie Bettis in Desperate Heart," 1944, printed 1975. Photograph, gelatin silver print. Polaroid Fou

I couldn't get just the figure in the skirt dancing, so I brought the whole thing in. I really want to photograph a dancer. I think it would be amazing to capture the motion blur of them mid dance step, or even, like this image, to stop them in mid-motion on a really impressive dance move. I think this image is so beautifully lit, and because of the position the dancer is frozen, the image become somewhat ambiguous.

No comments:

Post a Comment